Senior Marketing Manager, Content & Community-AG 0007R
Elsevier : NA-USA-CA-San Diego
Purpose: The Content Marketing & Community Engagement Manager/Senior Manager possesses an understanding of the academic information and scholarly communication landscape and is comfortable being a part of our customers’ communities. Must be willing to engage with Elsevier’s customers in several ways: by writing for them, by listening to them, and by sharing their insights and connecting them with each other and with Elsevier. The ideal candidate is an experienced writer/editor/communicator, and has a passion for sourcing, creating, distributing and promoting engaging content that can be delivered via multiple media (i.e., online, social and print).
Reports directly to the Global Director of Content Marketing & Community Engagement, Academic & Government Markets in RAP
- Create and lead content-driven, persona-based community engagement program, to include print and digital publications, websites, webinars/podcasts and social network channels.
- Establish annual content and marketing strategy. Collaborate with colleagues to ensure plans reflect the overall business strategy and adhere to established budget.
- Select members of and lead internal editorial board comprised of a balanced mix of stakeholders from across relevant company business units. With board’s input, establish an editorial calendar. Ensure content themes align with RAP’s overarching message priorities and match where audience’s and Elsevier’s interests/concerns intersect.
- Establish and maintain a content calendar of activities and themes to support company and RAP product objectives.
- Collaborate with RAP Product, Content and Regional Marketing colleagues to ensure available assets are used in product and regional marketing activities and vice versa.
- Align branding of program within Elsevier Master Brand guidelines.
- Take the communication planning lead, as appropriate, on additional content-driven programs initiated elsewhere in Elsevier where the program’s community is the primary target audience.
Content Development & Distribution
- Develop storylines and write or edit content within established positioning priorities that align to business objectives, with the goal of educating, engaging or growing audience.
- Develop compelling and appropriate formats, including print and digital. Employ other formats or technologies as needed to enhance community engagements.
- Determine best content format and distribution channels to engage audience, and research new formats and channels to pilot or rollout.
- Identify (online, at live events and via colleagues) and recruit contributors/subject matter experts, edit submissions or write original content that is technically accurate, informative, engaging and strategically delivered to the audience.
- Manage program vehicles, platforms, social channels and feeds. Coordinate across RAP, Sales, S&T Books, STMJ Publishing, ERI, GAR, HS and Corp. Communication teams to ensure content and audience engagements are relevant, messages are integrated, and audience interactions are appropriately handled and/or escalated, as necessary.
- Be an arbiter of global best practices in grammar, style, tone, language and usage, and ensure content addresses the audience’s perspective.
- Contribute to and ensure content adheres to the Elsevier Style Guide, and that digital content is optimized for search.
- Manage the content creation process for articles, infographics, newsletters, ebooklets, images, podcasts, webinars and other formats.
- Lead in the hiring and supervising of freelance writers, copyeditors/proofreaders, designers, etc.
- Oversee the printing and distribution of content artifacts, as well as the marketing of content and the program.
Audience & Market Engagement
- Create and/or leverage content that engages directly with the audience, and with an eye toward growing awareness and measureable engagement.
- Ensure that program content is audience-appropriate, strategically delivered, well received and utilized.
- Manage promotional outreach to program subscribers. Work with various Elsevier colleagues on integrating promotional opportunities to drive content discoverability and/or to leverage content for use in other marketing or communication campaigns.
- Play an active role by engaging directly with the audience through deployed channels to grow loyalty and advocacy. Work with stakeholders throughout Elsevier and at various levels to ensure proper communication of company strategy and themes.
- Stay current with trends and issues of concern to target audience. Define and monitor a targeted list of audience groups (e.g., list servers, websites and social networks). Leverage market data and customer interactions to identify future content themes/topics/contributors or to recommend new channels to develop.
- Perform periodic competitive audits of similar/complementary programs outside of Elsevier in order to track topic trends, inspire new content formats/channels to test or audience groups to engage.
Operational & Technical Management
- Establish and maintain a process, including documented work flow and forms/templates, for requesting content, as well as maintaining the program’s digital presence.
- Develop standards and best practices for content creation, Creative Commons licenses, distribution, maintenance, repurposing, archiving and retirement.
- Work with Integrated Marketing to ensure internal subscriber and opt-in lists are of the highest quality, and are updated and maintained in a timely manner.
- Maintain program website and post content. Make adjustments to the metadata on the program’s website as necessary. Tag site content for SEO. Periodically check site in multiple browsers to ensure functionality works properly. Report any necessary fixes and change requests to the Web Team or hosting vendor. Research, recommend and strategically implement various cost-effective tools and technology to ensure a rewarding website user experience.
- Lead development efforts for websites as needed. Make changes to social platforms as required.
- Manage external vendors such as copyeditors/proofreaders, designers, printers, freelance writers, website development and hosting companies, etc.
- Collaborate with Integrated Marketing team on continual improvements to email deployments and to track/report message uptake.
- Manage program activities according to budget.
Metrics, Analysis & Insights
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of a meaningful RAP marketing metrics dashboard.
- Track and report on monthly analytics of subscriptions, website/webinar/podcast metrics, social networks traffic/engagements, content consumption and audience sentiment, as available.
- Monitor and promptly respond to social media conversations and website/email queries.
- Understand data and analytics to gain insight from metrics to inform content offerings, program enhancements and/or marketing and promotional approaches. Share insights on a regular basis with key stakeholders.
- Collaborate with Product Marketing (e.g., RAP, ERI, STMJ Publishing, S&T Books, Corporate Markets, Health Sciences), Sales, Global Academic Relations, Research & Academic Relations, Corporate Communication, Universal Access and other internal groups to create content that is relevant, insightful and valued by customer groups.
- The job of the Content Marketing & Community Engagement Manager/Senior Manager is to clearly convey information and ideas through a variety of media and formats to individuals or groups of Elsevier customers in a manner that engages them and helps them understand and retain the message. The role requires a combined journalistic and marketing mindset, with the most important aspect being to think “customer first.” In essence, the CMCEM gathers stories about Elsevier customers and their needs and then shares or retells those stories in meaningful ways that lead to forming and sustaining satisfactory customer relationships.
- Degree plus proven journalism, communication, public relations, marketing or related experience (5+ years), preferably in a higher education or government environment; affinity with scientific research, information science or library science a plus
- Superior English language written and oral communication skills, including mastery of various global writing styles and expertise in editing/proofreading; additional languages and/or international experience a plus
- Demonstrated skills in writing and sourcing news and feature stories, particularly any that focus on scholarly information industry players, trends and issues; effective story crafting abilities using words, images and/or multimedia, with an innate understanding of how to connect with an audience
- Exceptional editorial management and organizational skills; must be familiar with copyediting and proofreading symbols, as well as the Associated Press Stylebook, Chicago Manual of Style or similar
- Experience in developing integrated communication strategies
- Significant experience in managing and executing in communication channels, including subscription management, printing and distribution, website, social networks, social media monitoring and content syndication technologies
- Knowledge of marketing practices, as well as SEO and SEM principles
- A passion for working with web-based communications and social media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.; having a social DNA (i.e., being comfortable in joining customer discussion groups and networks) is crucial to the role
- Fluency with social media applications and social media monitoring platforms
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork capabilities, with a proven ability to develop trust-based professional relationships both within and outside of the organization; multicultural awareness required
- Able to efficiently manage schedules, multiple deadlines and tasks, to self-manage and to adapt strategies and tactics on the fly
- Detail-oriented with excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Mature business acumen and judgment combined with a strong work ethic, sense of professionalism and personal integrity
- Should enjoy and be skilled at data tracking and analysis, as well as translating analytics into actionable insights
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, Outlook)
- Technical understanding of Photoshop, HTML editing, content management systems (Drupal), and web/social media publishing, syndication, and analytic tools
- Travel required