***If you would like to subscribe to our chapter listserve, please see below for instructions.***
To our current members – THANK YOU for your vital continuing support! If you are not yet an official member, there has never been a better time to join the San Diego chapter of the Special Libraries Association.
As a result of nationwide budgetary measures throughout SLA, our chapter will soon begin losing funds – and that means if you’re not currently a member, now is a critical time to join or renew with SLA San Diego. As one of the only local Library organizations, we need your support to continue to thrive and bring you the many amazing benefits that SLA and your San Diego chapter provides:
- Access to nationwide resources like the SLA Membership Directory, Future Ready Toolkit, Click University and other member-only advantages from prestigious universities offered via the Learning Network
- Local networking events, happy hours, and tours of local special libraries, to keep our professional community connected
- High-quality professional development seminars like The Future-Ready Information Professional and Top Tips from Insiders: Job Hunting & Hiring
- A steady stream of local job postings
- The Annual SLA-SD Scholarship
- A fantastic opportunity to get real leadership experience through volunteering with your local Chapter
If you’re STILL not convinced to join, just check out what some of our members are saying about what SLA-SD membership means to them:
“I became a member of the San Diego Chapter of SLA as a professional development tactic. I remain a member because I continue to learn from my colleagues how to deliver more valuable products and services. As a bonus I enjoy the opportunity to commune with some of the most creative, enthusiastic, and knowledgeable members of our profession.” –Cindy Shamel
“I joined SLA while a student at UCLA in 1984. I completed the MLS in 1986 and moved back to San Diego where I continued my membership while employed by Sociological Abstracts, Ferris & Britton [law firm] and then Grossmont College. Even in an academic library, SLA events provided great networking opportunities. I continue to attend meetings now even though I’m retired. Librarians make great friends!” –Michelle Blackman
“One big member benefit I’ve enjoyed is the opportunity to serve on the SLA-SD Board, last year as Student Liaison and this year as a Director. These positions have been great learning experiences and excellent additions to my resume. They have also allowed me to work with a supportive and fun group of very ‘special’ librarians.” –Kathy Elliott
If you value these resources and want to show your support for SLA-San Diego, we’d love to have you as a member – we invite you to join or renew today. And when you join, don’t forget to select “San Diego Chapter” when you’re completing your registration. There’s no extra charge to select SLA-SD as your chapter. We look forward to welcoming you to our group!
***By subscribing to our chapter listserve, you’ll receive information about upcoming events and other important announcements.*** There are two ways to subscribe:
- Go to Subscription Instructions on the SLA website and follow the directions there. Please note that the subscription address is firstname.lastname@example.org and our list address is SLA-SD@lists.sla.org
- Contact Kate Vigderson (email@example.com) or Ali Hennessey (firstname.lastname@example.org) on the SLA-SD Membership Committee and we will get you added to the list!