Posted on August 20, 2015.
The San Diego Chapter of the Special Libraries Association is seeking speakers for our annual professional development seminar to be held on Friday, October 30, 2015 at Marina Village Conference Center, Quivira Way, San Diego, CA 92109.
The 2015 theme is: Forging Forward: Techniques & Technologies for Gauging Success
As the landscape of information services and resources changed from physical to digital and physical, how have librarians changed the ways in which we gauge success? Learn new ways of measuring your customers’ or competitors’ research impact, your library services’ impacts in the digital age, and how to quantify and convey your organization’s successes to upper management.
We are looking for presentations that share knowledge and insights about the tools, methods, and skills that help us learn more about ways to contribute to organizational success. Presentations should cover the topic both conceptually and with demonstrations/discussion of real-world applications. Proposals may address, but are not limited to, the following topics as specifically focused on practices/concepts:
· Altmetrics and other ways of evaluating researcher or organizational output and impact
· Competitive intelligence
· Visualizing organizational productivity
· Communicating compelling stories with data
· Information technology tools that uncover what our customers need to reach their goals
· Collaborative efforts outside of the library
· Adjusting library strategy to match organizational changes & challenges
· Cost-effectiveness of investments in new information technologies
Proposals are requested from information professionals working in all types of environments; SLA membership is not required. Proposals should include:
· Speaker information: name(s), affiliation, contact information
· Presentation description: a title and brief summary of your presentation (up to 500 words)
· Format: individual speaker, team presentation, panel discussion, etc.
Presentations should be approximately 30-45 minutes in length. Please submit your proposal to us at SLA.SD.FallSeminar@gmail.com by Tuesday, September 8, 2015. The seminar committee will select presentations by Friday, September 18th.
Many of you have expertise in one or more of the areas listed above, or know someone who does, and we encourage you to send us a proposal soon. If you have colleagues or others in your network who might be interested, please do let them know about this opportunity. All proposals welcomed!
Be sure to reserve October 30th on your calendar. Further details and registration will be posted in September on the SLA-SD website http://sandiego.sla.org/ and via email.
Penny Coppernoll-Blach & Deborah Kegel
2015 Directors, SLA San Diego Chapter