San Diego State University Library & Information Access seeks applications and nominations of dynamic, innovative, and service-oriented candidates for the position of Hispanic Serving and Undergraduate Success Librarian. This position is appointed at the Senior Assistant Librarian rank.
Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will:
● Develop and coordinate library programs that support undergraduate writing and the needs of Hispanic college students, including cross-border partnerships with our sister libraries in northern Baja California;
● Coordinate undergraduate library instruction for writing courses for Rhetoric & Writing Studies, international students, and the American Language Institute;
● Establish collaborations with the SDSU Writing Center;
● Work closely with librarians to design information literacy curricula, online tutorials, and face to face instruction for undergraduate writing courses;
● Proactively seek partnerships with faculty and students in the subjects of Chicana/o Studies, Spanish and Portuguese, and Latin American Studies;
● Take a leadership role in planning, implementing, and assessing collections and services in support of the research and educational missions of the relevant academic departments;
● Initiate and conduct course-related information literacy instruction in the relevant subject areas, as well as provide general undergraduate information literacy education;
● Maintain existing online research guides and work with programming staff to develop innovative online research tools for supported subjects;
● Participate as a general reference librarian, as well as provide subject specific support for Chicana/o Studies, Spanish and Portuguese, Latin American Studies and related disciplines;
● Participate in the shared governance of San Diego State University by serving on library, campus-wide, and California State University committees as needed.
● ALA-accredited master’s degree or equivalent foreign degree;
● Experience providing library instruction to undergraduate students;
● Subject knowledge in one or more or the following fields of academic study: Chicana/o Studies, Spanish and Portuguese, and Latin American Studies;
● An understanding of the current research, information sources, and scholarly trends in undergraduate library instruction and the needs of Hispanic college students;
● Knowledge of emerging issues and technologies in undergraduate library instruction;
● Experience working with multicultural and international student groups;
● Strong communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills;
● Ability to work effectively in collegial environments;
● Potential for meeting the requirements for tenure and promotion based on library service, professional growth, and service to the University and community;
● A demonstrated commitment to fostering diversity;
● Proficiency in Spanish language, spoken and written.
● Active involvement in professional development activities with a record of scholarly contributions and achievements in the profession;
● Experience working with faculty, researchers, staff, and students;
● Experience with collection development;
● Experience in the development of online tutorials or web guides;
● Experience with learning management systems, such as Blackboard.
This is a full-time, twelve-month, tenure track faculty position. Tenure is dependent upon continuing library service effectiveness, professional growth and development, and service to the University and community.
Rank of Senior Assistant Librarian with a salary range of [$58,044-$65,000].
Excellent benefits, including medical, dental, and vision plans, as well as 24 vacation days per year.
Please submit the following documents via Interfolio at http://apply.interfolio.com/26448: cover letter; curriculum vitae; names, postal and e-mail addresses of three professional references, and a brief statement about your commitment to fostering diversity.
This position will remain open until filled. Reviews will begin immediately. Anticipated start date is spring semester 2015.