Posted on October 10, 2014.
Job IRC #15147
Reporting to the Access Services Manager, the Interlibrary Loan (ILL) and Reserves Assistant functions as a member of a cross-trained Access Services team designed to provide excellent service at the first point of contact for the library users, which is the Circulation Desk. This individual supervises students in Access Services. He/she is responsible for the day-to-day functions of ILL services, Circuit, Express Books, RapidILL and Document Delivery services, placing course materials on reserves, and obtaining copyright for ILL and course reserves, both print and electronic. This individual must track billing and collect invoices related to ILL and reserves, review workflow processes to ensure efficiency, and monitor emerging technologies and trends. Other duties include maintaining statistics for ILL and reserve materials and copyrights obtained for these resources.
On certain days may be the sole library staff member on duty, having functional responsibility for the entire library and all equipment, including computers. He/she must be flexible in adjusting work schedule when necessary to ensure that the Access and Outreach Services Department is staffed and must be able to work evenings and weekends.
This position has an extensive public service component requiring regular interaction with the general public in person, by telephone, and/or electronically. This employee works under the general supervision of the Access Services Manager. He/she assists and works closely with the other library assistants in the department. This employee supervises graduate students (2-3), and student workers (25-30) while working in the Access and Outreach Services Department. Numbers and names of students vary from semester to semester.
Examples of Work:
• Assists with Interlibrary Loan (ILL), Circuit, Document Delivery and Express Books in Copley Library
• Maintains Faculty Course Reserves and the Library’s Permanent Reserve Collection for all Forms of Print, Non-Print Media, and Electronic Reserves (e-reserves).
• Maintains a Staff Supervisor Presence at the Access Services Desk
• Ensures that Copyright Compliance Rules are Followed for ILL, Document Delivery and Reserves Materials
• High School Diploma
• Three years academic/research library experience
• Knowledge of copyright
• Knowledge of library systems and software
• One year supervisory experience
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Certificate or training from a library technology certification program
• Experience working in Interlibrary Loan
• Copyright Expertise
• Experience with the Innovative Interfaces’ OPAC and Circulation Modules, ILLiad, OCLC, and ERes or Ares
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge of the principles, practices, and tools of ILL and Reserves, e.g., ILLiad and Ares
• Possesses a level of technological acumen that will enable him/her to not only effectively utilize but also to monitor and troubleshoot hardware and software used in the delivery of ILL/document delivery and Reserves services
• Possesses knowledge of library organization and Access Services routines
• Possesses knowledge of copyright law and Copley Library/USD copyright policy
• Trains, supervises, and evaluates student workers
• Strong customer-service orientation
• Ability to be flexible and nimble
• Ability to supervise graduate students and work-study students
• Ability to work independently and unsupervised and as a team member
• Ability to work with sensitive and confidential information in appropriate manner
• Ability to make rational and objective judgment calls and to remain calm in all situations
• Ability to communicate procedures and policies to faculty, administrators, students, and staff in a positive manner
• Possesses a positive attitude and ability to be future-oriented and embrace change
• Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communications skills
• Excellent organizational skills with strong attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple priorities
• Efficiently and effectively secures library building and alarms it at closing
• Demonstrates a commitment to continuous learning and to current trends related to job duties
• Maintains a quiet study atmosphere in Copley Library
• Enforces and follows Copley Library and University policies
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes. Serious candidates are encouraged to request official transcripts to help expedite the hiring process.
Salary: $19.36 per hour
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: October 22, 2014
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, you are strongly recommended to upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org