Update: 6/23/16 —
Proposal Deadline has been extended to: July 1, 2016. Notifications of accepted proposals July 15, 2016.
Beth & Zem, Fall Seminar Directors
The San Diego Chapter of the Special Libraries Association is seeking speakers for our annual professional development seminar to be held on Friday, September 30, 2016 at 1936 Quivira Way, Marina Village Conference Center, San Diego, California.
The 2016 theme is:
Exceeding our Patrons’ Expectations: The Engagement-Centered Library
How is your library creating extraordinary experiences that inspire curiosity, promote collaboration, and transform learning and research? Are you trying some innovative practices; looking at user-focused strategies; and honing in on strategic partnerships to cultivate personal, academic and organizational success with your library patrons? What measures have you put in place to try and become more engaged with your users?
This year’s Seminar will focus on how librarians coordinate the libraries’ user experience and engagement efforts, for both the online and physical library environments. We are looking for presentations that share knowledge and insights about the tools, methods, and skills that help us learn more about ways to contribute to best practices in library user engagement. Proposals that demonstrate audience engagement will be more favorably considered.
Proposals will be accepted in two formats: Individual/Group Presentation and Roundtable Discussion topics for moderator-facilitated group discussion. Presentation and Roundtable Discussions may address, but are not limited to, the following topics as specifically focused on practices/concepts:
- Changing organizational structures and staffing models
- Examining the impact of emerging digital technologies and web services
- Transforming scholarly communication
- Emphasizing space as service
- Conducting effective service assessment
- New definitions and philosophies of public services
- Enhancing teaching and learning
- Collaborative efforts outside of the library
- Adjusting library strategy to match organizational changes & challenges
Proposals are accepted from information professionals working in all types of environments; SLA membership is not required. Please include in your proposal submission:
- Speaker information: Name(s), affiliation, contact information
- Description: a title and brief summary of your presentation or Roundtable topic (up to 500 words)
- Presentation format – individual speaker, team presentation or panel discussion
- Roundtable – your interest in moderating or suggested moderator
Presentations should be approximately 30-45 minutes in length for Individual/Group Presentation and 15-20 minute discussion time for Roundtables. Please submit your proposal to us at SLA.SD.FallSeminar@gmail.com by
June 24, 2016 July 1, 2016. The seminar committee will select presentations by July 15, 2016.
Be sure to save the date for September 30 on your calendar. Further details and registration will be posted in July on the SLA-SD website http://sandiego.sla/org and via email.
We hope to see you there!
Beth Autin & Zem Lee
**Questions are welcome, just ask!**