Happy Holidays SLA-San Diego! We had a great turnout for a fun holiday dinner and business meeting at Sammy’s Woodfired Pizza in Del Mar on December 9. The business portion of the meeting centered on a recap of chapter’s activities, awards ceremony, and installation of the 2015 board. I’ll outline the program here as a final President’s Update for 2014. In wrapping up the year, special thanks were given to Executive and Advisory Board members for all their efforts and initiatives in the past year:
- President-Elect Amy Jankowski orchestrated some great tours, programs and happy hours this year – we toured the Central Library and the Braille Institute Library, and had an informative panel presentation on virtual reference at Ashford University. Several happy hours were held in conjunction with, and separately from, regular programs – a special thanks to Cindy Shamel for organizing events at local breweries.
- Past President Talitha Matlin did above- and beyond-work – she updated the Chapter Practices Manual, and organized a special award for SLA membership and fall seminar attendance for a nonprofit librarian. As a result of this we welcomed Kristi Ehrig-Burgess to SLA-San Diego. Talitha also headed the Nominating Committee, resulting in the excellent slate of offices for 2015.
- Treasurer Jennifer Silverman did a fabulous job as Chapter Treasurer – and learned a great deal about budgeting and finance as a result. She is looking for a committee person so please consider this as a learning opportunity and jump on in!
- Secretary Kathy Elliott made our lives easier with her reliable and timely keeping of the minutes.
- Director Isabelle Garcia, with her committee of Pat Alderman and Charlotte King-Mills, gave us an outstanding fall seminar. We appreciate all their efforts and thank them so very much!
- Eileen Schnur held the Business Partner position, and her work in garnering sponsorship support surely helped the chapter stay in the black for 2014.
- Communications Chair Jamie Lin, along with Tim Gladson, kept our blog lively with regular updating. We appreciate Tim’s substantive contributions over the course of the year!
- Student Liaison Zem Lee graduated from SJSU SLIS in May and took on a new position at UCI, and still managed to pull together a productive book drive (380 books!!) and organize the scholarship process.
- Employment Chair Donna Dutton continues to keep us apprised of employment opportunities – thanks for the timely and regular posting of job listings.
- Hospitality Chair Lauren Rasmussen Banovz did her usual amazing job managing registration for our events and welcoming attendees.
- Ali Hennessy and Kate Vigderson held down membership – thanks for their efforts too!
Treasurer Jennifer Silverman then presented the budget YTD and balance sheet. If anyone would like to have a copy of those documents, please contact Jennifer.
Next Zemirah Lee presented the Scholarship Award to our newest member and 2015 Student Liaison Marie Myers. Marie is a second-year MLIS student at SJSU and a freelance web developer. Formerly, she worked with the San Diego Web Team, building web applications for the sandiego.gov site. Her interests are special collections and archives, digital curation, and information retrieval and access. Currently she volunteers at the San Diego Natural History Museum’s Research Library, assisting in a metadata transcription project for the archives’ historical photographs collections.
I was delighted to present President’s Awards to two chapter members who perform outstanding service to the chapter:
- Lauren Rasmussen, our Hospitality Chair, provides amazing service – ensuring reliable and timely registration for our events – and does it with great charm. Though we did put back up support in place, Lauren continued to handle fall seminar registration through the week of her wedding – that’s above and beyond, and organized!
- Cindy Shamel, a long-time chapter member who has served in multiple capacities, continues to provide wonderful counsel, mentoring, leadership, and fellowship to us all. Her efforts are often quiet and unassuming, but they are most appreciated!
Past President Talitha Matlin next installed the new members of the 2015 incoming board:
- President Elect Eileen Schnur
- Director Penny Coppernoll-Blach
- Director Deborah Kegel
The meeting adjourned with the passing of the gavel to 2015 President Amy Jankowski. I know it’s going to be a great new year for SLA-San Diego!
Happy Holidays to all!
Jill Blaemers, SLA-San Diego President, 2014