TENURE TRACK POSITION
**First screening deadline of 11:59 p.m. on Friday, March 24, 2017**
This position may include a combination of day, evening, weekend and extension site assignments.
RESPONSIBILITIES : Under the direction of the Dean of Instructional Support Services and in collaboration with the Library Department Chair, and in collaboration with one another, the librarians are responsible for providing services such as reference, instruction, collection development, technical services, and outreach.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES ( INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO):
• Provide information literacy instruction in person and online through credit courses, workshops, and other modes of instruction
• Provide reference service in person and online using various print and electronic resources
• Design and produce curricular materials, research guides, tutorials, and other instructional resources in a variety of formats
• Participate in the collection development program and serve as faculty liaison in assigned subject areas
• Collaborate with discipline faculty on assignments, collection needs, and integration of information literacy into the college curriculum
• Collaborate with the others to prepare reports, assessments, and data in support of program reviews, Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs), and accreditation self-studies
• Serve on college committees and participate in faculty activities
• Develop and integrate emerging technologies in library services
Knowledge & Abilities:
Education & Experience:
Master’s Degree in Library Science, or Library and Information Science
a valid California Community College Instructor Credential in Library Science.
Candidates must exhibit an appreciation of, a sensitivity to, and respect for a rich and diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological and ethnic backgrounds, and those with disabilities. Experience working in a community with a similar diversity pattern as is found in the service area for Southwestern College is desirable.
• A Master’s degree from an American Library Association ( ALA ) accredited school.
• Experience in general areas of librarianship such as reference and public services, instruction, outreach, and collection development
• Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with students and faculty
• Ability to work collaboratively with all librarians and staff
• Ability to be flexible with work assignments and scheduling
• Experience working with an integrated library system and academic library databases
• Knowledge of current teaching pedagogies and experience designing and implementing active learning activities
• Experience or interest in developing programs and materials to support the needs of students including first-year experience, first-generation, distance learners, and disproportionate impact groups
• Familiarity with SB 1359 and the role of the library in Open Education Resources ( OER )
• Experience or interest in promoting libraries through social media, integrating library resources in learning management platforms, and creating media and resources to facilitate library access
• Familiarity with course management systems such as Canvas
• Bilingual English/Spanish
• Appreciation of, a sensitivity to, and respect for a rich and diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological and ethnic backgrounds, and those with disabilities
Licenses and Other Requirements:
Short writing and teaching demonstrations will be required of finalists.
Upon initial employment, full-time faculty members are placed on the salary schedule based upon years of experience and education. The maximum initial placement for experience is Step 6. Faculty members are encouraged to continue their professional development through additional study qualifying them for advancement on the salary schedule. For current salary schedules and information on salary placement visit our website at www.swccd.edu. Excellent fringe benefits.
Academic Contract (11-month)
Successful candidate may be assigned to any of the campus sites (Chula Vista, National City, Otay Mesa, and/or San Ysidro).
July 1, 2017 (Successful candidate may be assigned to any of the campus sites (Chula Vista, Otay Mesa, National City and/or San Ysidro).
All application materials must be received on-line at https://jobs.swccd.edu . Position is open until filled. Applications received by the first screening deadline of 11:59 p.m. on Friday, March 24, 2017 are guaranteed to be reviewed by the selection committee. Any application received after the deadline is not guaranteed a review.
Open Until Filled
TO APPLY: https://jobs.swccd.edu/postings/2274