GIA Museum and Library Tour (5345 Armada Drive, Carlsbad, CA 92008)
- Thursday April 21, 2016; 2-4 pm
- All guests will need to bring photo ID
- Check in with Security at gate upon arrival to get parking pass; let them know you are here for the SLA Tour and show ID. Security will direct you where to park
- Proceed to reception area to check in (you’ll need your ID again)
- The self-guided tour will start at 2:00. Library tour will start at 3:00
- Afterwards gather at Karl Strauss Brewing Company (5801 Armada Drive, Carlsbad) for a no-host happy hour.
Join us for a sparkling tour the GIA museum, exhibits and Library on April 21st at 2pm. The GIA, located in Carlsbad, offers professional education in gemology and a museum featuring rotating exhibits of unique jewelry, precious material carvings and sculptures, cut gemstones and the 426 lb Bahia, playfully called the “world’s largest pendant.” It is also home to the Richard T. Liddicoat Gemological Library, the world’s premier resource for gem and jewelry-related studies.
We will meet at the GIA and take a self-guided audio tour of the museum and exhibits. This will be followed by a librarian led tour of the Liddicoat Library. The library contains more than 57,000 books, 150,000 photographs, 700 periodicals, jewelry renderings, cutting diagrams and GIA course materials. The renowned Cartier Rare Book Repository and Archives holds many rare books spanning more than 500 years. The library is in the process of digitizing its rare books to make them available online for everyone.
After the GIA tour we will meet at Karl Strauss Brewing Company in Carlsbad for a no host happy hour.
Sign up for this program and/or to join us for an informal social event Karl Strauss by going to our online registration form.
Directions to GIA from San Diego:
- I-5 North
- Exit Palomar Airport Rd
- Turn right onto Palomar Airport Rd
- Turn left onto Armada Dr
- GIA will be on your left
Questions about registration process? Kristi Ehrig-Burgess at: email@example.com
Questions about the details of this event? Greg Sorini at: firstname.lastname@example.org