Amy Jankowski, 2014 President-Elect, and I went to SLA Leadership Summit in Memphis, January 14-17. Chapter and Division leaders attend this summit to learn about SLA resources, governance, and tools. The agenda and more detail are available here: http://www.sla.org/attend/leadership-summit-http://www.sla.org/attend/leadership-summit-2014/
We received several compliments and thanks for SLA-SD’s host chapter activities and help during the 2013 Annual Conference – thanks again to all!
A few highlights:
Open Board Meeting: Agenda and reports are available here: http://www.sla.org/governance/board-of-directors/mtg-info/15-january-2014-board-of-directors-meeting/ The documents mentioned below can be accessed via this link.
- Executive session:
- Valerie Perry was elected by board to fill Division Chair vacancy, due to death of Ann Koopman
- Passed a balanced budget; details were not distributed.
- 2014 is final year of 3-year strategic plan; review started.
- Conference Re-Envisioning Task force established was established two years ago to address declining attendance. Final report and recommendations delivered.
- Financial wrap-up. Numbers not yet available for 2013. SLA continues to have cash flow problems and took out a $300K+ loan during 2013 to meet obligations. Changes to session formats will include Quick Talks, Spotlight sessions, and closing session will be a Ted Talk format.
- Unit treasurers’ wiki has been relaunched, along with discussion list, and newsletter. Incoming treasurers will be signed into the wiki in February.
- Committee members then summarized reports that are available in full on the SLA website.
- Public Relations Advisory Council: See report “The Evolving Value of Information Management based on Financial Times Survey”: http://ftcorporate.ft.com/sla/ . Communication tools are also available on Public Relations wiki.
- Chapter Cabinet: 2013 annual reports and 2013 financial reports due January 31. Nearly 50% of branches had budget shortfalls
- Online Content Advisory Council – Twitter users should watch for #SLATALK discussions; see discussion archive.
- Student Ambassadors – Suggest more collaboration between First Five, Fellows and Student Groups.
Highlights of Summit sessions:
- Presidential Vision and Theme: Concept of extending our borders, as an organization and as professionals. Theme is “Beyond Borders” – Watch SLA website for detail.
- Membership Tips:
- Recognize Past President contributions and encourage continued participation.
- Partner with other organizations locally and with divisions for programming.
- State of the Association: Membership is holding steady; finances are tight. Everyone is encouraged to complete the Every Member Survey in February.
- Treasurers Report: Expenses and income are in alignment.
- Other sessions included Demystifying Running for the Board and Tips on Using the SLA website. Note that there are many resources available for membership. The links in the bottom footer are useful for navigation.
- No business for either Chapter or Joint Cabinet.
Jill Blaemers, SLA-SD President 2014