The Reference & Research Advisory Services Program is responsible for providing reference and research advisory services in support of UC San Diego’s teaching, learning and research activities. The Program strives to provide reference and research support expertise, enable learners to become effective, efficient, and ethical information users, and encourage self-directed inquiry. Within this framework, the Program’s focus is to provide students, faculty, and staff with specialized, point-of-need, or embedded assistance that will enable them to fulfill their information needs.
Program activities include:
- Developing, providing, and promoting a suite of library services which directly support student learning and faculty teaching and research activities
- Providing well-designed and strategically located virtual and physical service points
- Integrating and embedding library reference and research advisory services within academic programs and activities
- Identifying strategies for learning about and understanding the information needs of campus units and users
- Selecting and providing reference materials and tools in a variety of formats that meet the needs of a diverse academic community
- Participation in consortia and system-wide activities
- Using technology and communication tools to leverage services
- Continuous program evaluation and ongoing development of staff knowledge and skills to evolve service models and reflect best practices
- Collaborating with other library service programs to meet campus needs
Responsibilities of the Position
Reporting to the Associate University Librarian for Academic Services, the Director, Reference & Research Advisory Services, provides vision, leadership, management, and strategic planning for all programmatic, administrative, and operational activities of the Library’s Reference & Research Advisory Services program.
- Provide leadership for the full implementation and continued development of a new service program
- Identify and implement best practices and innovative approaches for providing reference and research advisory services
- Provide broad oversight of program activities.
- Serve as a supervisor of academic and/or staff employees including hiring, evaluating, training, and developing direct and indirect reports
- Develop competencies and training for staff serving in the program
- Perform staffing, budget and resource analysis
- Ensure cross-program coordination and management of staff involved in the implementation and delivery of program services
- Evolve and modify program scope, services, procedures, and practices to ensure consistency campus and Library goals and mission, and in response to program evaluation and assessment, changes in user needs, and changes in available resources
- Collaborate with other Library programs to fulfill program missions and carry out program activities.