Note: Cognella is also seeking to build a small pool of Reference Librarians for special consulting projects working with university faculty. Please apply and mention whether you have any interest in a part-time, project-based consulting role.
We are immediately seeking an exceptional individual to fill a critical Digital Librarian role on our team. The ideal candidate possesses a natural talent for organizing information, the tenacity required for academic reference, and the ability and enthusiasm to independently improve the experience in our digital library. This is an amazing opportunity for someone who is looking to grow in their career and make a role their own. In this position, you will own all aspects of the our company’s Digital Library (http://www.universityreaders.com/library), including content import and metadata management, virtual reference services, project management and publisher communication, improvements to the professor experience, and collaborating closely with technology, sales, and marketing teams to promote and enhance the use of the library by our professor clients.
We’re working on some exciting, transformative projects this year that will both revolutionize the academic publishing space and save students money. So, if you have a “fire-in-your-belly” to innovate and have always wanted to be part of a tight entrepreneurial team, this might be your chance. There’s room to grow and blossom in this position.
- Growing the Digital Library: prepare and coordinate the import of book chapters, journal articles, and business cases into the Digital Library, including metadata preparation, selection extraction, and digital inventory management.
- Reference Service: recommend high quality, relevant readings to professors who require librarian expertise; provide one-on-one instructional assistance to users.
- Project Management: coordinate multiple ongoing collection projects across several teams; accurately plan and communicate milestones to technology, marketing, and acquisitions.
- User Experience Management: collaborate with the technology group to identify improvements to various library features and functions, including search and navigation, discoverability, previewing materials, and reading lists.
- MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited program; expertise in digital libraries, information architecture, or library systems preferred.
- 3+ years experience in a library or information management role.
- Experience delivering reference services to a wide variety of patrons.
- Incredible organizational habits; highly-polished writing and speaking skills; marketing savvy; ability to use and manipulate data to glean insights into content use and information trends.
- Thorough understanding of metadata standards such as Dublin Core, EAD, MODS, METS or ONIX.
- Extremely strong Excel and Acrobat skills–you live and breathe for new macros and automation tricks to increase efficiency.
- Comfortable using tools like text editors and command line interfaces to manipulate files, and occasionally edit scripts and XML records.
- Experience with digital library systems (ContentDM, Greenstone, DSpace, etc.), and/or enterprise document management systems (Nuxeo, Alfresco, Sharepoint, etc.).
- Demonstrated ability to calculate costs and time investment on a variety of short to medium-term projects.