MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: ALA-accredited MLS or foreign equivalent. Coursework or equivalent experience in a natural/physical science discipline. Demonstrated potential for meeting the requirements for tenure and promotion under the Library’s criteria for professional performance, scholarship and service. Teaching and/or instructional design experience. Experience working in an academic setting. Significant knowledge of information literacy pedagogy. Knowledge of instructional technologies. Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
DESIRED/PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Experience designing and creating web-based and print instructional/informational materials. Experience with instructional technologies. Experience in a science-focused research setting (e.g. laboratory experience, science library experience). Experience in developing curriculum-driven collections. Published/presented research in librarianship. Active participation in local, regional or national organizations.
DUTIES: California State University San Marcos (CSUSM) Library is seeking an innovative, energetic, collaborative librarian to provide instruction and reference for students and faculty in the College of Science and Math. The successful candidate approaches instruction in a reflective manner that is indicative of their knowledge and expertise of student-centered learning. The Science Librarian will also develop curriculum-driven collections for Applied Physics, Biological Sciences, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Computer Science, and Mathematics. In conjunction with these responsibilities, the Science Librarian is an active participant in the CSUSM Library’s Information Literacy Program (ILP.) CSUSM Librarians that are part of the ILP provide librarian-led instruction to first year students, students in general education courses, and provide reference/research help to students and the entire campus community.
Library faculty work in a highly collaborative environment that emphasizes excellent professional practice, research and scholarship, university and community service, and professional growth. Additional responsibilities may be assigned based on the changing needs of the Library.
1.Take a lead role in the Library’s Information Literacy Program for the sciences (College of Science & Math), including planning, implementing, and assessing instruction. Form active partnerships with faculty to develop these instructional programs and support course-related research.
2. Provide discipline-specific reference and research help to College of Science & Math students, faculty, staff, and the general public.
3. Actively participate as a member of the ILP in the development, delivery, and assessment of instruction to first-year students, and provide general reference and research help to the CSUSM campus community, including some nights and weekends.
4. Provide leadership in the development of the natural sciences collection including budgetary decisions for specific disciplines. Work with faculty in the various departments to ensure that the Library is supporting their curricular offerings. Prepare program review documents and other reports as needed.
5. Pursue a strong research agenda in a selected aspect of academic librarianship.
6. Actively participate in library, university and professional-level service commitments.