Under supervision, the Library Page performs a variety of routine library work including shelving and retrieving materials; and responds to requests and inquiries from the general public.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The following tasks are typical for positions in this classification. Any single position may not perform all of these tasks and/or may perform similar related tasks not listed here:
1. Perform routine library work; shelve books, magazines, pamphlets, documents and various other Library materials according to established procedures.
2. Maintain the Library in a clean and orderly fashion; straighten book shelves and areas of public use; move tables and chairs; set up audio-visual equipment.
3. Respond to requests and inquiries from the general public regarding use of Library facilities and equipment; refer to appropriate Library staff as necessary.
4. Inspect Library collection for damage or needed repairs; clean or repair books and audio-visual materials.
5. Provide assistance to higher level Library staff; retrieve materials from restricted areas; assist in performing routine circulation duties.
6. Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
Experience: No experience is required.
Education/Training: Formal or informal education or training which ensures the ability to read and write at a level necessary for successful job performance.
English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
Learn general library systems and procedures including the Dewey Decimal system and circulation procedures.
Learn to properly shelve and retrieve library materials.
Read and interpret various library materials.
Respond to requests and inquiries from the general public.
Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Establish and maintain effective relationships with those contacted in the course of work.